Perogy Mac & Cheese
- 1 pkg. (454g) Pelmen Foods Potato and Cheddar Perogies*
- ¼ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 tbsp. Unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp. All-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup Milk
- ½ cup Gruyere cheese (grated)
- ½ cup Canadian white cheddar (grated)
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. Nutme
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Butter 4 round 4 ½ inch ramekins or a 9 inch round glass dish.
- In a small bowl, mix bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and melted butter. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil perogies and stir occasionally for 5 mins. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and continue to stir for two to three minutes. The mixture should be creamy free of lumps.
- Gradually add the milk, whisking briskly to maintain a smooth sauce.
- Cook the sauce for about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid scorching.
- When sauce thickens, add cheeses, salt, cayenne and nutmeg to the sauce, and stir until all the cheese has melted.
- Add perogies to cheese sauce and stir gently until completely incorporated. The mixture should be fairly saucy.
- Dish the perogies into the buttered pans and sprinkle with the panko bread crumb mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown.
Possible Toppings: Crumbled Bacon, Green Onions, Chives, Parsley
*Use any of the savoury Pelmen Foods perogies for this recipe.