Salted Caramel Apple Perogies
- 1 pkg. (454g) Pelmen Foods Perogies ( )
- 3 tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp. Brown sugar
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon
- 2 Medium apples (cored and cut into ¼ inch cubes)
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. Unsalted butter
- ¾ cup Heavy cream
- ½ tsp. Coarse sea salt
Possible Toppings: ice cream, crème fraiche, sour cream with sugar, crushed peanuts, slivered almonds
- In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, add butter and brown sugar and cook until butter and sugar have melted, about 1-2 minutes. Add apples and sprinkle with cinnamon. Sauté until apples have softened and caramelized, 4-5 mins turning carefully. Set aside.
- To make caramel sauce: Spread sugar evenly into the bottom of a heavy duty stainless steel sauce pan, Pour in water, and heat over medium heat without stirring.
- Bring to a boil. The sugar will begin to bubble and dissolve. If any undissolved sugar remains, gently swirl the pan to help it dissolve.
- Watch for the color to change from clear to golden amber, the caramel should begin to slightly smoke then deepen to a reddish-brown color.
- Once it reaches the reddish-brown color, immediately remove from heat, and stir in remaining ingredients. Stir with a clean heat-proof spatula or wooden spoon until smooth.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil perogies and stir occasionally for 6 mins. Drain and divided into 4 dessert bowls. Top each with apples and drizzle with caramel sauce.
- Once remaining caramel has cooled, you can pour into a glass container, cover and refrigerate.