- 1 pkg (654g) Pelmen Foods Savoury Perogies
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup ice cold water
- Canola oil for frying
- 5 tbsp. fish sauce
- 3 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 Thai chili (thinly sliced)
Possible Toppings: Green Onions, fresh Cilantro, Soy Sauce
- To prepare dipping sauce: In a bowl, whisk fish sauce, lime juice, water and brown sugar until sugar has dissolved. Stir in garlic and chili, place in a small dipping bowl and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add perogies and cook stirring occasionally for 6 minutes, drain and set aside.
- To prepare tempura batter: Sift flour and baking soda together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, gently whisk egg to break the yolk and incorporate in the egg yolk. Stir in in the ice cold water to the beaten egg and then add egg mixture to flour. Use chopsticks to mix together use enough until the flour is incorporated. It’s alright if there are a few lumps as you don’t want to over mix the batter.
- Add oil to a wok or deep non-stick pan, filling it with just enough oil to cover perogies for frying. Heat oil over medium-high heat until it reaches a temperature of 350F.
- Dip perogies in batter and remove access batter. Fry perogies in batches for 1-2 minutes until lightly golden and crispy.
- Serve hot with dipping sauce