- 1 pkg 454g Pelmen Foods Perogies*
- 1 pound beef stew cubed
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1/4 cup flour (to coat the beef cubes)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 carrots (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Put flour, salt and pepper in a large Ziploc bag.
2. Heat oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven.
3. Place meat in bag with the flour and shake until well coated. Shake off meat pieces and add them to the oil and cook until nicely browned, stirring occasionally. Remove and set aside.
4. Add garlic and cook for one minute.
5. Add onions and cook for another minute.
6. Pour in red wine and simmer, scraping the bottom of the pan to release all the little bits. Let the wine reduce a little.
7. Add beef broth.
8. Return beef cubes to the pan.
9. Add carrots and celery.
10. Add in the bay leaf and salt and pepper to taste.
11. Simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
12. Add frozen perogies, bring back to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
*Use any of the Pelmen Foods potato perogies for this recipe.