- 1 pkg (454g) Pelmen Foods Perogies*
- olive oil
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh sage (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 onion (large)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 large ripe tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Sour cream
- Crème Fraiche
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add perogies and cook stirring occasionally for 5 mins. Drain and place skillet and set aside.
2. Clean mushrooms and trim tough stems. Slice mushrooms about 1/8-inch thick.
3. In a large deep skillet, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until onion is soft and translucent, 2-3 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes and simmer for 10-12 minutes until they have melted and released their juice to a sauce consistency. Set aside.
5. In a separate skillet over high heat, add 1 tbsp. of oil. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Stir-fry mushrooms until lightly browned, 3 minutes. Lower the heat to medium and add thyme, sage and chilli flakes. Stir-fry for 1-2 more minutes.
6. Add mushroom to skillet with the tomato mixture, season with salt & pepper, stir well, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour, stir to incorporate and cook for 1 minute.
7. Add 1 cup vegetable broth and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Gradually add 1 more cup of broth and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Sauce should have gravy-like consistency, thin with additional broth if needed.
8. Gently stir in perogies and sprinkle with parsley. Top with sour cream or crème fraiche.
*Use any of the savoury Pelmen Foods perogies.